- Bonus content
- Live events
- Learn More
In today’s episode of the podcast I speak to Corrado Guiffredi about his new signature clarinet from Backun called the CG Carbon, which is the world’s first carbon fibre clarinet. Corrado also discusses his preference for using a crystal mouthpiece paired with synthetic reeds, why he plays with a double lip embouchure, and shares advice for young musicians looking to pursue a career in music.
See the New Backun CG Carbon Clarinet
Backun’s new Carbon Fiber Clarinet
- Description of the new instrument
- Benefits of the carbon fiber material
- CG Clarinet – Corrado Giuffredi signature model
- “How did you first meet Morrie and how did this relationship develop?” – Gabriel
Giuffredi discusses what draws him to Backun’s cocobolo clarinets
- “The warmest sound I know”
As a lover of new technologies, Giuffredi made the switch to synthetic reeds.
- Giuffredi tested Legere’s European Signature Reeds
- Sean and Giuffredi discuss a few details about these reeds.
- Giuffredi explains his current mouthpiece, ligature, and reed setup.
- For more information on Legere’s European Signature Reeds check out the following Clarineat Content:
“Your Soul is Klezmer”
- Giuffredi shares his first playing experience Klezmer music in Milan
- Sean and Giuffredi discuss various aspects of performing Klezmer music
- As a 10-year-old student studying at the conservatory, Giuffredi was asked to play double-lip and has played that way ever since.
Giuffredi Discusses Emotion while Performing
- “If I don’t feel the emotion myself, how can the audience feel emotion? It’s impossible.”
What advice do you have for young musicians looking to make a career in music?
- It takes a mix of things. The first is talent, but that is not all. Students must practice and study. Another important thing is your character.
Lightning Round Questions:
If I were to walk over to your music stand right now, what would I find?
- A new project for two clarinets that I’m recording tomorrow!
What piece of music or album changed your life irreversibly?
- Eddie Daniels – Breakthrough
If you could play any instrument other than the clarinet, which would it be and why?
- Alto saxophone, but only for one week. I play the clarinet that’s enough.
If you could go back in time to meet any musician who would it be and why?
- Any composer who wrote for clarinet. I would love to have been an inspiration for clarinet. I wish Tchaikovsky had written a clarinet concert or Shostakovich. I like Russian composers.
While we are back in time, what advice would you give your 21-year-old self?
- Maybe to spend more time without the music.
How many clarinets do you have?
- Many clarinets. I even have an acrylic clarinet!
About Corrado Guiffredi
The Italian clarinetist Corrado Giuffredi began his clarinet studies at 10 years old at the Conservatory of Parma where he later graduated with honors and laude.
Principal Clarinet of the Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana, Corrado Giuffredi has also performed in numerous concerts and international festivals around the world with Orchestra Filarmonica della Scala under the batons of Riccardo Muti and Daniel Barenboim. During the seasons 2010 and 2012, Giora Feidman invited Corrado to perform master classes and concerts in Safed and Jerusalem, Israel. Recently Cecilia Bartoli invited Corrado to perform Rossini clarinet variations at Salzburg Whitsun Festival with I Barocchisti and Diego Fasolis.
Having performed the Italian premiere of Krzistof Penderecki’s Concerto for Clarinet and Orchestra, Corrado’s chamber music repertoire includes performances with: Martha Argerich, Maurizio Baglini, Boris Belkin, Silvia Chiesa, Larry Combs, Eddie Daniels, Enrico Fagone, Andrea Griminelli, Ricardo Morales, Danilo Rossi, Rino Vernizzi e l’Ensemble Strumentale Scaligero.
Corrado has also recorded for labels including EMI, Decca, Arts, Fonè and Stradivarius. Corrado teaches Clarinet at the Istituto Musicale Superiore in Modena and presents master classes around the world.
Corrado Giuffredi is a Backun Artist and performs on his signature series CG Clarinets by Backun Musical Services and CG Mouthpieces by Pomarico. He is also a Silverstein Artist, performing on the Maestro and CRYO4 Ligatures, and is a Legere Reeds Artist, performing on Legere European Signature Series Reeds.
Backun Musical ServicesReinventing the clarinet, one piece at a time. Save 10% on your next Backun accessory purchase with code "CLARINEAT" at checkout.
Clarineat Podcast Production Team: